How to lose weight on a treadmill [3 workouts to try]
If you are new to the fitness world and are on your journey to becoming a fitter version of yourself, the treadmill can be a great place to start. There’s a misconception that you must sprint at maximum speed on an incline of 20 for the treadmill to be effective. This is wrong. New gym goers can use a treadmill to help increase their cardio fitness at a starting point that feels comfortable to them.
Benefits of using a treadmill
There are many benefits of using a treadmill; this versatile piece of equipment can help increase your fitness levels and activate specific leg muscles, amongst other benefits.
What are the benefits of using a treadmill?
- Weight loss
- Built-in TV functionalities
- Handrails (ideal for injury recovery)
- Reduces your risk of heart disease
- Improves sleep
- Boosts your mood
- Improves brain function
- Adjustable to your fitness capabilities
Is a treadmill good for weight loss?
A treadmill can be a great way to burn calories and help put you in a calorie deficit. Put simply; you will lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit. Combining your treadmill workouts with strength training can help you tone up and lose fat and support your overall fitness.
What is a calorie deficit?
Calories are the units of energy that we get from food and drink. To be in a calorie deficit, you need to burn more calories than you consume. The greater this deficit over a sustained period, the more weight you will lose.
Can you lose weight on a treadmill?
Yes, you can lose weight on a treadmill. The treadmill is a great piece of equipment for all abilities, and you can scale the exercise to suit your needs and fitness level. If you are new to your weight loss journey, you can start by walking on the treadmill to burn extra calories, but there are also specific workouts you can complete on the treadmill if you have a high fitness level and want a challenge.
How to lose weight on a treadmill
If you are looking for ways to lose weight on a treadmill, you are in the right place. At Fitkit, we have put together a range of treadmill workouts for weight loss that caters for different fitness levels.
Fat burning treadmill workout for beginners
The treadmill can be daunting for newcomers to the gym, but it can be one of the most useful pieces of equipment to add to your fitness routine. If you are looking for a fat-burning treadmill workout for beginners, you should try the following:
- Set the treadmill to flat. Walk at your regular speed for 5 minutes.
- Increase the incline of the treadmill to level 5. Continue walking for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the incline to a flat level.
- Increase the speed slightly so that you are at a fast walking pace for 5 minutes.
- Increase the incline to level 5 at this speed for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the incline and speed for a 5-minute cooldown.
If you are searching for more treadmill workouts for beginners, we have 5 for you to test out within our guide.
Fat burning treadmill workout for intermediate-level users
If you are looking for a treadmill workout that is a little more challenging, you should check out this medium-level treadmill workout. This workout should increase your heart rate and is designed to help you increase your fitness and running ability if completed regularly and scaled accordingly.
- Warm up with a walk on a flat incline for 3 minutes.
- Increase the speed to a comfortable pace where you can jog for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to a walk for 5 minutes.
- Increase the speed to a steady run for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the speed and walk for 5 minutes.
- Increase the speed to a sprint for 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to a walk for 3 minutes.
This workout will help you to increase your confidence at a range of speeds, and once you have mastered the recommended time at each speed, you can increase your speed or the time spent at the pace.
Fat burning treadmill workout for advanced users
Want a workout that will get your lungs burning? We have a challenge for you. Try this fat burning treadmill workout:
- Warm up with a brisk walk on a flat incline for 3 minutes.
- Set the speed to a fast run and run for 1 minute.
- Walk for a minute.
- Repeat x10
- Walk for 3 minutes to cool down.
Another intense workout for fat loss and also hamstring development is running on an incline. This workout can be quite challenging and will take some time to get used to, so make sure you choose your settings accordingly.
- Warm up with a walk on a flat incline for 3 minutes.
- Set the incline at around 3-6, depending on your fitness level.
- Run for 4 minutes at a steady jog on the incline.
- Reduce the incline to a flat level and walk for 4 minutes.
- Repeat this 3-5 times for a workout to help you burn calories and target your glutes and hamstrings. If you find it too easy, increase the speed.
Is walking on an incline good for weight loss?
If you are looking for a low-impact workout to help you lose weight, walking on an incline on a treadmill could be the perfect solution. Walking on an incline can help increase your heart rate, activate your hamstrings and glutes and help you get into a calorie deficit.
Walking on a treadmill on an incline can cause some strain on your lower back, so if you have back pain, avoid increasing the incline of your treadmill too high.
Treadmills at Fitkit
If you want to add a treadmill to your home gym or are searching for a new one for your clients – we have a diverse range available for you. The treadmills available at Fitkit include premium brands, such as Technogym and Life Fitness, that you can rely on to deliver precision and technical excellence. Check out the full range available at Fitkit today and give your home gym the update it needs.